Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Reader feedback on "Lost in Floral Rain" - Saman Dissanayake


Sydney based veteran Sinhala novelist, Saman Dissanayake, has sent us the following feedback.



I read the your novel ‘Lost in Floral Rain’ and I enjoyed it very much. It really is like a very lovable, heartbreaking song. It is amazing that many events in this novel had a very close connection to most memorable events I have experienced in my life. So when I finished reading one chapter, I dived into the memoirs of the past, spent some time there and then started reading again. Still I was able to finish reading the book in one day. I did not want to take my eyes away from the book even for a while.

When I read the events of the rainy day in the novel, I remembered how I made paper boats with my younger brother and floated them in the drains. How lovely was that time? I don't know why I felt chilling when I read that chapter. While reading that passage, I covered my body with a bed sheet as I felt the cold that came with the rain mentioned in the book. Your creation was so touching and of very high quality.

When I read about pears trees in the novel, I remembered the my trip to Nuwara Eliya, all our family members went in 1967. It was during that trip, I first saw a pear tree. I still haven't tasted a pear that tasted like the one I had on that day.

Our house was not stoned during the election time of the seventies, but it was a frightening experience as we remembered how a large number of people were moving towards the house waving their fists to us and making everybody in the family feel helpless. The experience of queuing up at four o'clock in the morning to get to quarter of bread per person as ration is still in the mind as well as barrier for transport rice.

I remembered how I got to visit Katubedda University with my father, in my elder brother's vehicle. On the way back to Katubedda University, I remembered how my brother scolded the young man who showed us the road. (As he mentioned it as Katubedde Technical College instead of University).

I also remembered dancing with my younger brother on the day of the election in the 1977. But it took some time for us to realize that whoever came to power will not be of any benefit to us.

While visiting the Bandarawela on the weekends, I remembered the taste of the tea cup made from the tea shop at Beragala Junction. What a taste!

So Pushpa, thank you for the sweet memories you gave us by writing this lyrical novel.

You have written a fascinating story. Written in plain English, the book was easy to read. I would say that this is a very realistic novel. Each character in the novel are real. All of them are people we know.

I invite you to take a long journey in the world of novels.


-Saman Dissanayake


Copies from the second print of the novel "Lost in Floral Rain" are available for sale in Australia. Those who are willing to purchase a copy are kindly requested to refer to information given in the following location: https://lostinfloralrain.blogspot.com/2023/05/how-to-buy-copy-of-lost-in-floral-rain.html

All revenue raised from the sale of "Lost in Floral rain" will be used for the charity named "Project Home Owl". For details of "Project Home Owl" charity please visit: https://lostinfloralrain.blogspot.com/2019/05/introducing-project-home-owl-charity.html

For details contact: pushpa.suriyaarachchi@yahoo.com.au.

(image: https://samkasse.com/2017/02/27/beta-reader-feedback/)

No comments:

Post a Comment